Football is one of the most popular sports in the United States according to a 2014 survey which states that 35% of respondents chose National Football League as their favorite sports league, while 11% said that their favorite is college football. Basically, almost half of the USA population favors football over other sports.
There is no surprise when saying that football is also the most popular game when it comes to sports betting in the USA. It’s also a loved a sport in other parts of the world as well, but nowhere as much as it is in the home of the sport itself. US bookmakers love the fact that there are so many bettors. So today I’m going to give you some insights on the sport.
Football betting basics
My first recommendation would be to use betting sites when making bets on football. You will benefit from many advantages over the traditional form of betting, such as: it’s more convenient and easy, betting options have a better range, and the best odds and lines are available online too. Even more you will get extra bonuses and rewards you can only receive online.
I also advise you to be careful when it comes to betting online, as there are some risks to take into consideration, meaning you should put some thought into which sites to use and be careful how much money you spend. Although betting online is convenient and a good thing overall, it can make you betting too much and too often. Therefore, there are some strategies I strongly recommend and some others you should definitely avoid.
Let’s start with the to do list:
- use reputable sites – although most sites are trustworthy, you should choose your place carefully as there are also some shady websites and you don’t want to get scammed over your money or your winnings;
- set a budget – you should make your betting responsibly as you don’t want to turn it into addiction;
- sign up with multiple sites – you shouldn’t limit your options when it comes to betting as multiple sites have different advantages and you could get the best value out of bonuses and rewards;
- take full advantage of bonuses and rewards;
- try live betting – you have the chance of making a significant profit when you opt for live betting.
What you should avoid:
- chase your losses – one of the most common mistakes that is made by gamblers is chasing losses after a bad run by increasing their stakes. It is a common strategy around casinos, but many bettors fall into this trap as well. A desire to try to recover your losses is understandable, but you should never engage into such an activity;
- get greedy – such a behavior is similar to the one stated before, although it involves your winnings and wanting to get more. As I said in the previous paragraph, such a behavior isn’t one to be followed;
- bet for the sake of it – you should make selective bets and know when to bet and when not to;
- log in after drinking – as you can take impulsive decisions;
- bet on your favorite team – as you can get to involved and make a bad selection.
Most of these dos and don’ts are just common sense. Many of them apply to betting on any kind of sport and to any kind of gambling for that matter. They can seem obvious to you, but that doesn’t make them any less important.